Pages

Monday, September 28, 2026

California Quail Again

I know I just wrote about them but last year my cat caught one of the little babies and my son grabbed it away. The flock had scattered but he tracked them down and returned the baby to them and I guess they decided that our yard was safe. 

I have a pile of branches for them to hide in and under, water and a garden to dust bathe in (usually right where the seeds are sprouting). So this spring a whole flock moved in. In the morning around 5 when it starts to get light out I can hear them getting restless as they wake up under my bedroom window. Small noises and tiny footprints sounds running across my roof and finally the daddy or grandpa would make his signature call and the whole flock would move out. 

 I'd see them off and on throughout the day but when evening comes and the sun's heat is leaving I try to go out to my garden but they always arrive at the same time and protested as if I were not supposed to be there. Ifill up their bath and water the garden, all the while they are scolding me and fussing about under the branches, trees and flowers. 

 Through the summer they managed to raise large family of about 8 chicks twice and I certainly never had any bugs or pests in my garden. I did however have a large patch that nothing could grow in as they all took their dust baths nightly. 

 It was a very hot dry summer. We were 2 months without rain but I kept my yard fairly well watered and always had water in their bowl for them and I believe that was why they decided to stay and maybe the kindness of my son returning their chick also helped. They don't seem to migrate in winter so I'm sure I'll see them around and hopefully it won't be too cold or snowy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.